I served this at a luncheon today and it got rave reviews and requests for the recipe. I roasted all the veggies the day before and assembled the soup this morning and it was easy and quick. It keeps well and can even be frozen. I doubled this recipe to serve 14 people.
Robin's Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
- 1 quart tomatoes - I used the fabulous tomatoes I froze this summer but you could use fresh or canned.
- 4 small heads of garlic (or 2 large heads)
- 1 large onion- roughly chopped
- 2 cups Vegetable stock (I like Pacific organic)
- 1/2 cup Cashew Cream or to taste (http://www.talronnen.com/recipes/cashew-cream)
- Fresh Basil - 1/4 cup finely chopped- diced
Roast Tomatoes - spread tomatoes on large baking sheet with a lip - spray with Pam and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Roast at 325 for 2 - 3 hours. Let cool.
Saute onion until soft and sweet.
Put tomatoes (and juices if any), roasted garlic (squeeze them out of the skins) and onion in blender with enough vegetable stock to blend - and blend until smooth.
Pour blended mix into soup pan and add rest of stock. Stir in cashew cream. Simmer for about 30 minutes. 15 minutes before serving add basil.
Serve with soft whole wheat rolls and a huge dark green salad - of course!