Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Starving To Death!

"Starving To Death" is fun to say. My family says it a lot. Go ahead, say it with dramatic flair!

In the last week, 2 people have told me that they ate a huge healthy meal consisting of whole grains, dark leafy greens and fruit and an hour later they were "starving to death". I know exactly what they mean.

Before we dove into this head first I made a few plant heavy meals just to test the water. It was frustrating to make a big dinner and an hour later we would all be rummaging around the kitchen looking for a snack/second dinner. We felt real hunger - almost as if we hadn't had dinner at all! So we snacked on chips, ice cream, cold cereal, cookies, brownies, until we were satisfied.

We weren't actually hungry at all. It takes at least 3 hours to digest a big meal loaded with fiber rich plants. We were experiencing cravings so strong that we misread them for actual hunger. Dairy, sugar and fat are extremely addictive. Even if your tummy is full your body will tell you it is starving until you give it dairy, fat, and sugar.

Once we got off the addictive stuff we could eat a plant heavy meal and feel satisfied for hours. Most of the time I am full for at least 4 hours.

Please, if you are discouraged because you feel like you are starving after a healthy meal, please remember that you are not starving - you are addicted. If you want to feed yourself and your family healthy food you will feel very satisfied once you break the addictions. And the food will taste much better.

4 comments:

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

So true! A big veggie meal leaves me feeling the perfect shade of full!

Linda Austin Hart said...

I've been feeling NO ARTHRITiS PAIN AT ALL for the past 3 weeks. I always feel full for 3-4 hours after my spinach smoothie. Here's a great combo:
1 apple, 1 cup soy milk,several chunks of fresh pineapple,& as much spinach as you can pack into your blender with the above--about 1/2 #. Blend til smooth. makes 3 very large glasses. I drink 2 & Alan gets 1. I call it my Yummy Dr. Seuss DSmoothie.

Melissa said...

Linda, I'm so excited for you, I bet you feel amazing. I also bet Alan is loving it. :) Hooray for health!

I'm impressed Robin, you and your family rock. xoxoxo

Julie said...

I agree it's just cravings. You're doing great! Congratulations on your success!