Friday, March 12, 2010

I Couldn't Do That

"I couldn't do that!" I have heard that a lot lately. And I understand where it comes from. Heck, I was saying that all last year as we contemplated this huge change in our lives. But a few things happened that made me realize that I need to take care of myself. My dad died at age 71, my mom had back surgery and it changed her life, my father-in-law is in a nursing home and cannot care for himself. I found a lump in my breast had a scary mammogram and found that it was cysts (whew!).

Then I read a book "Younger Next Year for Women", and the authors said,  
you have to grow old, 
but you don't have to decay

That really stuck in my head. I'm not that old but if I don't hurry up and get in gear I have already lived my best years. I have lots of adventure left in me and I want to see the world and do big things.

So when you tell me you couldn't do this I will smile and say, "I understand" and I do, how do you think I got in the situation I'm in? But what I want to say is, "If you wanted to do this, you could."

And let me tell you a little secret - its not that hard. Getting the nerve up to do it is a little bit hard, but actually eating tons of fruit and veggies isn't hard. It is delicious. OK - changing your food prep and shopping habits is hard, you wouldn't want to start this on a stressful week, but it is very do-able.  And it is easier if your spouse wants it, and if your teenager wants to do it (being vegan is real trendy with teenagers right now).

Look at me - preaching the vegan gospel after only living it for 3 1/2 weeks.

Shout out to Rachael who is going vegan-ish! You go girl!

Today:
  • 6:15 AM Spinach Smoothie, grapefruit
  • 11:30 Banana (and 2 costco samples: mac n' cheese and salmon)
  • 2:00 Shredded salad (red cabbage, carrot, cucumber, fresh lime juice and raw sunflower seeds), steamed kale with mushroom gravy and raw cashews, big juicy pear.
  • 6:00 Huge green salad, broccoli vinaigrette, homemade whole wheat toast, oranges and kiwi

6 comments:

R A C H A E L said...

Halla!!

I am so proud of you and think you are such an inpsiration!


That menu looks delish. Yum.

R A C H A E L said...

*I should say you, Roland, and Noah are such an inspiration.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I'm trying. I'm easily tempted however. But I'm eating much healthier--quadrupled amount of fruit & veggies i eat, but occasionaly have butter on my toast, melted cheese on my tortillas, and (oh no!) today I ate an entire bag of caramel, chocolate popcorn that i bought on impulse at the dollar store. It was delicious.

Julie said...

I agree, it's all about the mindset. If you want it, it's not as hard. It IS hard to change how you shop and get used to cooking other things but once they are in your house it's easy-er, not easy, just easy-er than you think. I saw a video by Furhman where he made those spinach smoothies. Maybe I'll try it. You really can't taste the spinach? I hate spinach.

Sally said...

We had your smoothies with our dinner tonight. You are inspiring me! Do you not eat at all after dinner?

daveanddebbie said...

I put spinach in my smoothie today and my boys watched and said they would never try it! I had to laught to myself because they were already drinking their spinach! love your new blog- thanks for the inspriation!