Monday, May 2, 2011

One Last Gasp of Winter

It is snowing today. 

Sigh.



This is probably my favorite go to meal in cold weather and while I realize that most of you are basking spring sunshine I still have to share this meal.


If you've been here before you will know that I have posted several variations of this already but it never gets old and it is super easy.

Saute: (in lightly sprayed pan)
onion
garlic
carrots
celery
green pepper
4 leaves of kale stemmed and chopped fine

Add:
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans (or what ever bean you have handy)
1 large can diced tomatoes (toss in some fresh ones too if you have them)
water as needed

Season to taste:
Chili powder
roasted paprika powder
cumin
pepper
balsamic vinegar
green onion

Serve with sliced avocado and limes. So good. My boys like to crumble tortilla chips on top and I like mine with lots of avocado.

5 comments:

Emily said...

I made this same soup (okay, a variation on it) last week and enjoyed it for 4 days. I was sad when I ran out.

I used lentils instead of beans, they simmer tender within 30 minutes.

I didn't bother sauteeing, I just dumped it all in.

I also added 1/2 head of chopped cabbage, which gets such a nice sweet tender flavor when added to soup!

YUM!

Hopper Juan said...

Hi Robin. I started reading your blog from Allison's blog via Motivated Mama website. I work for Alisha's husband and so it is kind of a long and convoluted story about how i found your blog. ANYWAY, I started reading and implementing the Eat To Live way of life and have been pouring over blogs and recipes and working on new healthy foods. I saw your green chiles and thought "I know this stuff! I love this stuff!" I was impressed that you knew about it (assuming that you lived in California, or the East Coast or some other far off local) and then saw that you were at the OTC. Ok, we live in the same town. Weird. So I had to say hello to a fellow Springs girl living a nutritarian lifestyle and motivating me. :) Small world! -shamaree ramirez

Hopper Juan said...

ps, I accidentally used my husband's google account. Also, I made the bean soup/chil recipe last night. yumm!

Kristen said...

More posts please!

queenieweenie said...

where oh where has the queen of inspiration gone???