Dr. Fuhrman recently sent out this informative email:
The Five Most Dangerous Foods to Feed Your ChildI used to feed my kids cheese everyday, sometimes 3 times a day, thinking that they were getting good nutrition that way. I saw the ads on TV and was trying to do the right thing. Cheese on chips was a favorite! And rolled up lunch meat filled with cream cheese! I thought that was healthy and felt like a good mom when I made that for a snack. Oh, that I could go back and do that all over again! I had no clue what I was doing.
1. Butter and Cheese - full of saturated fat and fat delivered chemical pollutants
2. Potato Chips and French Fries - rich in trans fat, salt, and carcinogenic acrylamides
3. Doughnuts and other trans fat - containing sweets - rich in trans fat, sugar, and other artificial substances
4. Sausages, hot dogs, and other luncheon meats - containg N-nitroso compounds that are potent carcinogens
5. Pickled, smoked, or barbequed meats - places you at risk of both stomach cancer and high blood pressure
Here is a snack that all my kids loved (I rencently tried it out on my 8 year old nephew and it was a hit!). Sliced apples and peanut butter. Easy peasy. I am especially fond of the Costco organic peanut butter. There are only two ingredients: dry roasted peanuts and salt. My kids liked any snack that involved dipping. My nephews are big fans of whole grain crackers dipped in hummus.
While your kids are young you can help them develop a taste for healthy nutritious food that will bless them their entire life!