Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Oh! The Weather Outside is Frightful!

It's cold and snowy.

The cold snow makes me want to bake and use ingredients like butter and caramel. But I feel blah after eating that kind of food and I want to keep eating healthy, especially as the holidays approach, I want to feel great!  So what to do when the comfort cooking urge hits? Put on some good music - right now I am liking "Lower Lights" an old timey hymn revival that you can really sing along to - and make rustic apple sauce.

It makes the whole house smell wonderful and satisfies that comfort baking/cooking/eating urge!



I had rome apples that were on the mushy side - perfect for:

Rustic Applesauce

  • 8-10 large apples - peel them (don't worry if it's not perfect) and quarter them 
  • Put apples in pot with 1/2 cup water (add more if needed)
  • Add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste 
  • Simmer (with a lid) until the apples are done. 
  • Break them up with a spoon into bite-sized pieces. 
  • Serve them hot. 


I had them for dessert and then again for breakfast and then as a mid afternoon snack.

Here is another apple idea:
I had a gallon of cider and boiled 2 quarts of it down into a thick syrup. It was so sweet and strongly apple flavored. I added 2 tablespoons of the apple cider syrup to the applesauce and it was wonderful. I also used it to flavor a sugar free apple pie I made last week.

No comments: