Thursday, March 17, 2011

Garbonzo Delight

How does one name a recipe? I am tempted to put my name on every single recipe: Robin's Soup, Robin's Salad, Robin's Dessert. But it seems a little obnoxious and not very informative.

Here is our latest invention. I got the idea from watching Good Eats when he had a special on chickpeas (garbonzo beans). Ike thought it looked like a good treat and begged me to make it. It can be served warm as a main dish or cold as a salad (I had a bunch for lunch yesterday with an orange on the side). It's a little salty because of the olives and artichokes and peppers. And it is not low fat - feel free to eat it with balsamic vinegar instead. We named it Garbonzo Delight. (Tempted to call it Delightful Robin's Garbonzos!  but that sounds like I am describing something else...)



Garbonzo Delight

  • 3 cups chickpeas - cooked or from a can (Here are directions on how to cook them)
  • 1 medium zucchini - thinly sliced
  • 1 red pepper chopped
  • 1 leaf kale finely chopped
  • 5 artichoke hearts (packed in water) - roughly chopped
  • 4 pepperochinis - thinly sliced
  • 10 olives (your choice) sliced
  • 2 green onions thinly sliced

Dressing:

  • 3 T Veganaise
  • 1 T vinegar
  • 2 t dijon mustard
  • dash garlic powder
  • dash oregano


Mix the dressing and pour over ingredients. Mix and serve!

I made this with freshly cooked chick peas and served it hot. Oh! It was good. Because I doubled the recipe I have had it for lunch for 2 days.  I think it would be good with feta if you eat cheese. Also - perhaps a few pine nuts sprinkled on top!

No comments: