Thursday, March 24, 2011

Vegan Bragging

We just spent 5 days with our 3 college kids (report here). They are darling and they are all taking good care of themselves. It was quite satisfying as they each complimented us on our healthy eating style and told us how they brag to their friends that we are vegans. We are not vegan. Vegetarian, yes. But not vegan. I would say vegan-ish. We mostly eat vegan but occasionally something will have egg in it or a bit of cheese and I will eat it.

We ate at lots of yummy healthy restaurants - college towns are famous for healthy trendy restaurants - and were treated to a few delicious healthy homemade meals. One thing that I am going to make is sweet potato hash browns: 

We ate quite a bit before I decided to snap a photo. Sweet potatoes, onion, and green pepper. Delicious. This was the same breakfast where I ordered the vegetable medley: 
It came with 2 vegan sausage patties and the sauce on this veggie dish was warm and comforting. I could taste a bit of cumin. It was a wonderful way to start the day and kept me full for a long time!

Here is a joke my son Gabe told me:

How can you tell if someone is vegan?
Don't worry, they will tell you.

Ha.

4 comments:

Salt H2O said...

love Gabe's joke!

Food looks delicious.

Melissa said...

I love Gabe and his joke! Awesome! :) What a great family you have!

Linda Austin Hart said...

How fun to be with all 3 of them. Sweet potatoes, in everything, are fantastic.
I missed seeing Gabe when he was in town.

wife2abadge said...

ha---somewhat true. I thought I'd make my family happy by cooking meat for dinner almost every night this week, after many weeks of vegan or vegetarian meals almost every night. My 13-year-old announced that she wanted to become a vegetarian after seeing a film on slaughterhouses at school, my 8-year-old hardly ate any of it -- I think my husband was the only happy family member! I thought I could use up all of the vegetarian leftovers I have in my freezer, but ended up just wanting a lot of salad.