Friday, January 28, 2011

Hand In Hand

Did the title of this post make you think romantic thoughts? Valentine's day is about 2 weeks away so I'm not at all surprised if your thoughts turn to amore.

This post is about pain. My pain. I have a stabbing throbbing piercing sharp pain in my right heel that has stopped me from exercising the last week or so and after some frustrating reflection I've decided that its much much easier to eat a healthy diet when you exercise. Diet and exercise go hand in hand. My theory is that the good endorphins you get from exercise make it easier to choose chard over chocolate, and then the chard creates peace in your body thus encouraging more exercise - it is a wonderful cyclical relationship.

I ignored the pain for a week because sometimes when I ignore a problem it fixes itself or goes away. But this didn't go away so I made an appointment with our friendly podiatrist - a real nice guy - and hopefully he will give me a magic pill that will have me up and running soon. Literally running.

Not my picture but pretty close to how it looked.

Back to romance. Last night I was in charge of the chocolate fountain for refreshments at a church meeting. The recipe for a chocolate fountain is 10 cups chocolate chips and 2 cups oil, melted together. The chips were swimming in the oil. That's how they get the chocolate to flow like a water fountain - tons of oil. I filled my plate up with bananas, strawberries, and grapes and fought the urge to announce how gross the chocolate was because I didn't want to be a killjoy, and all those ladies were loving the chocolate fountain, and I love those ladies.

Happy Pre-Valentine's Day.

8 comments:

ang :o) said...

My guess is plantar fasciitis. I had this a few years ago and it's very painful. Shoe inserts were the cure. Hope you get some relief.

Melissa said...

I hope you get your foot fixed. I had that plantar thing when I was expecting Lily and it was awful. (What made it extra bad was that, in an effort to not make it worse, I hobbled around and my gait was off and my back was all wonky.) It was really painful. I hope that you get a quick fix.

The chocolate fountain has never appealed to me... good thing.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i applaud your self-restraint at not making the announcement more than i do your restraint at not eating the chocolate. the one would've been far more difficult for me than the other. ;o)

Elizabeth said...

Just like the choc fountain there are so many things peeps would not eat if they knew what was in them...
Chicken nuggets for one lol.

Kristen said...

Chocolate fountains grossed me out before this and now even more so.

I have off and on plantar fascitis which was my first thought too. My best treatment is to leave tennis balls on the floor next to my bed, one in the kitchen, one in the office, and one in the living room and then when I see one and have a moment I put my arch on it and roll it around under my arch, stretching the fascitia (I don't know if that is the right word). After two or three days the pain is gone and then it's just maintenance. Especially before bed and and before getting out of be in the morning. Don't put lots of pressure or you will make it sore. Also you could ice it 3-4 times a day for a few days and use ibuprofin. I never go to the doctor for it anymore.

I hope that helps.

Kristen said...

okay, that was unclear...

when you are rolling the tennis ball around under your foot, don't press really hard, just a bit of pressure, it shouldn't hurt, but should feel like a gentle stretch. I have accidently over stretched it making it more sore. That's what I meant about not putting lots of pressure on it.

Good luck.

Susan Crane said...

Ok I know they are really ugly (my kids have forbidden me to wear them around them) but what really helped my foot pain was wearing Crocs for a while. It just seemed to make a huge difference and once the pain was gone I could wear any type of footwear I wanted. They do have some kind of cute Mary Jane type Crocs now! Good luck with your foot!!

Robin said...

Thanks for all the great advice. Tennis balls and crocs! Who knew?